Good to know - Incredible Pesto
Pesto must be ‘THE’ most widely used ingredient in any families kitchen.
It’s so very versatile; mix it with pasta, spread on fish, serve with salad, or splat it on pizza.
If you don’t make this at home, you're missing out.
It's fresh, easy, fun and much lower in salt (and £££) than typical shop-bought types.
So whats the good-to-know?
Hemp seed hearts are a great alternative to pine nuts as they have a similar taste and easily interchangeable in pesto. Great for any age as these contain plant nutrition, protein, omega fatty acid and antioxidants.
A simple switch from pine nuts to hemp hearts means;
- High nutrition and healthy addition.
- Excellent balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which promote cardiovascular health and general strengthening of the immune system.
- Less; Calories / Fat / Saturated fat & Higher; Fibre / Protein.
- Cost loads less than pine nuts (how expensive are them!) - Unlike nuts, pose little to no allergy risk to your little ones.
- Great source of iron to help with natural growth and development.
- A perfect protein that contains all 20 amino acids, including the 9 essential amino acids our bodies cannot produce.
It's a win-win.
Here’s a super quick recipe.
100g bag fresh basil leaves and stalks
50g hemp seed hearts
50g parmesan cheese (or a similar vegetarian hard cheese), grated
1 small clove garlic, crushed
100ml extra virgin olive oil
1/4 lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Blend to a roughly texture
Store in airtight jar (fridge) or freeze into cubes.
#onerecipewholefamily #goodtoknow #homemade #herbs #freshfood #pesto #simplefoodswitch #familyrecipe #realfood #toddlersfood #easyandquickfood #goodness #balancedfood #recipe #cookright #healthyfood #simplefood #enjoycooking #healthykids #saltfree #sugarfree #cookwithchildren #kidsfood #eatwell #healthyfamily #cookforthefamily #familyfood #familynutrition #healthyfoodshare #usfew